Wednesday 5 October 2016

NOTE TO THE READERS

 
Many articles were posted in this blog since I started translating Rohden's writings in mid July 2012 while living in China, experiencing the teachings of Buddha, Lao-Tze, Kong Fuzi and Mengzi Tze.
 
Not long before this experience, I read one of Rohden's books that impressed me most, related to the interpretation of the Sermon on the Mount, and I have to confess that I became so fascinated with his insights that I made to myself the proposition to translate his writings into English, in an attempt to broaden the number of his readers outside Brazil.
 
Now, I'm revisiting and reviewing every article, adding extra thoughts from different writers which in some way Rohden was attuned, giving the opportunity to readers not only to grasp the meaning of his ideas, but to comprehend the intimate experience of the reality and life that he experienced.
 
The language of Shakespeare, was not my first language.  In fact, the languages at home while living in Brazil, were at an early age, Hungarian and after, Portuguese.  Spanish was in addition, plus Latin, French, Italian and English, during my school days as a young adult and later on while travelling and studying overseas due to my professional duties.  In 1994 I came do Australia where I am still living today.  However, this move does not confirm that I reached the pinnacle of knowledge of this rich language and more studies needs to be done.
 
Rohden's writings has astonishing power, subtly, rich, poetic and range.  Indeed, he makes use of sounds and words associations in the manner of a poet of genius.  His language has a vitality rare in the literature and perhaps unique due to his creation of neologisms, inventing words and phrases, which demands a constant search in order to find the correlated idea in our modern days and way.
 
Needless to say, these very qualities face the translator with difficulties which are almost insurmountable, and I hope that I have done justice to the original text.  In translating it, I am constantly haunted by his warnings regarding the idea of the "traduttore traditore" - translator traitor – and this gives me the absolute certainty that his writings must have the respect and validity the author deserves.
 
However, all what is written here is somehow preliminary, nothing is definitive... as Rohden says.  The definitive comes from the reader and not from the author.  The reader, after taking the right direction, should make the content of the messages, day by day, year by year... for a lifetime.
 
Here, absolute truths are not written, nor should serve as an elementary book to be followed.  Rohden's writings are the result of his personal experience, whose ideas, the reader must filter out the wheat from the chaff, and if accepted, to incorporate that knowledge and realize its own experiences.
 
"After all the noise, after reading, listening, thinking, is when comes the great silence of dynamic realization and the experiences of reality".
 
I have to remind readers that the language used here is simple and colloquial, easy terms for an easy reading.  All that I can hope for in the meantime, is that I may have given English readers the best approximate idea of the merits of this great writer.  Finally, no matter how often this writings are observed, some mistakes will remain and I am very sorry if happens... those are my fault and further discussions can be carried on.
 
Flavio de Mello
demello.aflavio@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment