Monday 28 December 2020

CRISIS, AGONY AND CATASTROPHE

The text below was taken from an interview given by Huberto Rohden to a Brazilian TV channel in March 1979.

 

“The process of spiritual evolution of humanity is very slow. Some give a step forward in a thousand years. If one is fully realized, he is a redeemer of humanity. Jesus (and other rare humans) was about to reach that perfection. Who among us could publicly challenge friends and foes by asking: “Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don't you believe me? To make a challenge like this one must be absolutely in tune with the cosmic laws. That, to me, is fullness, kindness. Kindness is being in tune with the laws of the Infinite. Religions call the cosmic laws of God; I call it Cosmic Laws. This is the guideline that the integral man should keep in mind: one person's self-realization favour others. No one can convert anyone with words. We can convert someone for who we are, never for what we say.

Modern man's greatest crisis remains existential, a chaotic existential frustration. In the past man had lost his path, now he also lost his own address. He no longer knows his destiny or the purpose of existence. Goes to the absurd to even deny the existence of a purpose! Man is losing track of his existentiality. Even writers and philosophers openly proclaim that human life has no purpose and that man is a mere plaything in the event of birth, living, and dying. This is the typical anti-cosmic view of existence. It is the result of the instruction of the peripheral ego without the education of the integral man. There is no point running ever further in search of something where realization is ephemeral. What modern man lacks is guidance in the midst of this general disorientation.

For example, one must know whether all this scientific progress has a raison d'être. The progress of science, for Einstein, is a wonderful thing. However, science cannot give to the man any certain purpose of his earthly existence. This is the reason for the existential crisis that is driving humanity into agony. Prophets and clairvoyants of all times foresee a universal catastrophe towards the end of the second millennium (beginning of the third), and this tragedy is nothing but the result of the chaotic frustration that man lives. Man, of existential frustration, is always unhappy, even in the enjoyment of social success; the one of existential realization is always happy, even without the enjoyment of social success.”

____________

Mid-February, 2014 ... cool breezes announcing the end of summer on a beautiful afternoon in this part of the world, Albany, Western Australia, seated and waiting to be taken to my chalet in the woods.

I was deeply involved in my thoughts about the meaning of this lecture when a stranger in his forties sits beside me. “Hi mate!” sounding happy, soon started talking greeting me, asking where I was going, etc. I responded by thanking, and among other matters, complementing with some comments on the formidable afternoon of that day. With his inquiring gaze, he asked me what nationality I belonged to; he noticed my non-Aussie distinctive accent. I replied that I was born in Brazil, the son of Hungarian immigrants.

He looked at me again saying: “Beautiful women over there - which I agreed - Ahhh! He murmured: How I would like to visit Brazil and know some intimately, parties, and other enjoyments!”

It was not difficult for me to draw his character profile, for his comment did not surprise me ... but his bus arrived, we said goodbye and he disappeared behind the tinted windows.

Returning to my thoughts, I tried to decipher how difficult it is still for most human beings to go beyond their profane thoughts, instincts, senses ... from the shackles that still bind them, and to advance on the pilgrimage from ignorance to wisdom. Why are they reluctant to leave the barren plains of mediocrity, where they still crawl? How difficult it is to climb the inner Himalayas! We could have continued on some other subject, but ... How to talk about the ocean to someone who knows only a small lake?

In any case, it is still extraordinary among us humans, this kaleidoscope of colours, shapes and values. The world is an amazing place, and one of our biggest challenges is trying to live in harmony with these diversities.

No comments:

Post a Comment